VE Day - 8th May
Last term, we were learning about WWII and looked at VE Day. 8th May is coming up and it would be great if you could complete activities linked to the day. The Royal British Legion have a fantastic website and have produced some lovely activities that you can do at home. Follow the link and use the documents below.
Marking VE Day in the Wider Curriculum:
Art and Design
- pattern and colour work using the colours of the Union Jack to create bunting for a street party.
- line and shading work to draw the local memorial (use a photograph if you can't visit) and try and capture the shadow and light.
- compare the music of the time to modern music and identify similarities and differences between them.
- learn to sing one of the songs and think about the meaning and the tone it should be sung with.
- watch the video of VE day in London and consider or list why people were celebrating and why it's important that we remember it today.
- Plan what you would serve for a street party to mark the end the war in Europe.
To add additional challenge, learn about rationing and limit the food available to be used during the party.